Thursday, April 2, 2009

mocking bird

For some reason, I keep thinking today is Friday, though I know that yesterday was Wednesday. Can we skip Thursday? Just this week?

There's a mocking bird outside my work that really cracks me up lately. In our city, and probably tons of other cities, at certain crosswalks, there's a directional sound that lets blind folks know when it's safe to cross the street. It's very distinctive and the first time I heard it in my work parking lot, I knew it was the crosswalk signal. Then I stopped and thought, "there's not one of those anywhere around here." I listened a second longer and this mocking bird continued on with its repertoire of bird and city sounds. I wonder how many blind people that dumb bird confuses each week. I wonder if a mocking bird could learn to imitate a dog whistle.

No comments:

Post a Comment