Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Ride

There's some baby product that shows commercials of weird situations that only happen after you're a parent and they refer to parenthood as "the ride". Huggies I think. Anyway, the commercials will show parents doing something ridiculous that you would only do as a parent and would never dream of doing otherwise.

This morning was one of those mornings. I HAD to wash my hair - it was getting skulptable. Which is impressive seeing how it's an inch from touching the seat of my office chair. My little boy was especially needy today and was not content to play on the bed while I showered and dressed. When I came out from the shower, there were real tears in his eyes! Poor little guy! I picked him up and the crying ceased within about 15 seconds. I hold him for a minute or two, just hoping that he just needed to see me to be content playing on the bed - frequently that's enough in the mornings. As long as he can see me walk in and out of the bathroom, he's good. Not today. Incredibly pitiful crying as soon as I laid him back down. I pick him up again and he cuddles in to me, something he only does now when he's really needy. Hmmm.... what to do.

I went and got the harness from downstairs, strapped him to my chest, and then proceeded to comb out and blow dry my hair. Yup! Get a good mental image of that one! He was a little surprised by the blow dryer for about 30 seconds, and then he snuggled onto my chest and started sucking his hand with owlish little eyes. I hope he's not getting sick.

Anyway, you know you're on the ride when you blow dry your hair with a child strapped on your chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment