Friday, May 7, 2010

Our friends - again

For those of you who know us, you very likely also know our friend who has the same first name as my husband. They have rented an apartment pretty close to us. Actually very close to the hospital where I had my son. They're planning on moving in their meager possessions tomorrow.

Their beds and clothes are alright, and they have a couple of large dressers that were upstairs. They have a lot of stick furniture, like dining room chairs and such. But their entire kitchen was underwater for 36 hours. Pots and pans do wash up, usually, but we're under a water restriction right now, so we're kind of hesitant to just blatantly use tons of water to clean stuff. The water police might come to get us!

The two things they need that he happened to mention to me on the phone today show the severity of what they've lost. I asked what they needed first, or if there was anything I could get them. He said they're going to need silverware and shoes. Their silverware, they deemed was just too gross to try to salvage. And like us on any given day, most of their shoes were downstairs last Saturday night. Their bedrooms and primary bathroom was upstairs. The living rooms, library, kitchen, washroom, and a guest bath were downstairs. They have 2 cats and a dog.

When we were at their house on Wednesday, we took a big box of kitchen pots and pans to keep at our place until they could reclaim them. Today I took them out of my trunk to put in my garage. The cardboard box she had packed them in was so moist that it tore down the side before we could get it to the car. As I was moving the muddy pots and pans, I noticed little trails in the mud in some of the dishes. Exactly what made those little trails?! And suddenly it makes sense why they wanted to throw away their silverware.

If you'd like to donate to their cause (I cannot for the life of me come up with a witty name for their cause!) let me know and we'll work together to get them gift cards or cash, or whatever you'd like them to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment